Thread: Temp gauge issues

Post Thanks / Like

Temp gauge issues

Hi
    Hope somebody can help, I have recently purchased a 1998 Skoda pick up 1.6 petrol, it has had some modifications done including a new interior.
    I have noticed my temp gauge does not move much over 70 deg. I have replaced the temp sensor and the thermostat checking for damage to the end cover housing but this has not improved the problem.

I am wondering if the dash panel has been replaced along with the rest of the interior and now the temp gauge is no longer paired with the reg number / temp sender.

Does anybody have any advise on how I can investigate my problem further? Makes me feel edgy driving around not knowing the true temp. The cooling fan does cut in and I noticed the gauge needle dropping slightly.

Many thanks
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    You would need to get the part number off the back of the instruments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You would need to get the part number off the back of the instruments.
    Thanks for the reply, does this mean if I get the part number off the back you will be able to tell me if it's correct or will I have to ask a Skoda dealer?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get the the number I can tell you if the unit MAY be the correct one. The system the dealer uses for identifying parts to the car using the VIN (called FI suggestion) only started in around 1998 on the Golf 4 and even on the Audi A4 was not fully operational until 2002 ish and later for Skoda.

5. Thanks ee_lie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can search for any parts number you want for you vehicle on http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/pick-up-pick-eu-1998/
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue, Flat Tyre Indicator, Service Plan, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a couple of photos of numbers on the instrument panel, Im sure its not the original as the surround is a different colour than the dash board.

Any help would be great. Does anybody know if there is a difference between the black sender with a blue ring and a black sender with a yellow ring ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If you can get the the number I can tell you if the unit MAY be the correct one. The system the dealer uses for identifying parts to the car using the VIN (called FI suggestion) only started in around 1998 on the Golf 4 and even on the Audi A4 was not fully operational until 2002 ish and later for Skoda.

Not sure which is the part number
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for advise everybody, it's greatly appreciated.

I posted picture of various numbers from the back of the instrument panel yesterday morning but am still waiting for approval from the site moderator.

look forward to further help

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping there would be a VW type part number sticker on the back of the unit such as 6U2 919 033 G, which is what I think it should be and this is listed as sill being available but will probably go onto a factory backorder, the list price is £326.14. There is only one other unit listed but that is for the "FUN" model. Unusually for a VAG product, a lot of spares are listed for this car such as the temp gauge which is £30.31. According to my system, you car should have the sender with the blue identification ring from some manufacturers and the yellow one from others but Febi say blue and so do Hella.