Thread: Rust

Post Thanks / Like

Rust

Hi. New to this. Anyone has problems with rust on wheel hubs? Looks a mess after 6 months of spending £25k on a superb. Dealer says it's normal

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is quite normal, in the days of steel wheels it would not have shown, but as alloys become more and more like skeletons the rust is visible. Also if the wheels are left undisturbed for a long time they "stick" to the hubs which can be difficult if you get a puncture.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hood
    Not going to leave it tho. Skoda should do something to protect the area better (hammerite paint) maybe! other cars don't rust like this. Looks a total mess and after spending so much money I'm not impressed

Post Thanks / Like
    I had thought about treating the hubs on my Yeti, but have learned to ignore it. I had thought about either rust converter which would turn it black or Sperex VHT which can cope with the heat of a manifold. A serious problem with Yeti are zinc inclusions with the doors. It happens where the door is not completely cleaned during manufacture, and something like a grain of sand eventually causes a small blister in the paint, these eventually "pop" and then can be mistaken for a stone chip. They occur on the doors often below the rubbing strip, my osr door was resprayed under warranty. I know of one owner who had all four doors replaced under warranty. Not sure if the Superb is affected, but worth keeping an eye on it.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks. Just think in this day an age all these problems should be a thing if the past. Skoda should look in to all these so called (not) problems and sort them in manufacturing

Post Thanks / Like
    It is normal, ALL cast iron discs do this as all they are coated with a metal spray called Dacromet or Geomet D in some cases which is removed by the pads on the swept area and left on elsewhere, painting would not work as the heat would burn it off, I have seen people paint the bells with Hammerite and it looks awful. If they replace the discs they will just rust again and the discs on yours are the same as various Audi, VW and Seat vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks crusher. As said I. Last post, not impressed with it. Spend 25k on a new car and all you can see is rust on wheel hubs. Makes alloys look a mess. Waste of money

Post Thanks / Like
    It even happens on the top of the range Audi A8 unless you specify the carbon discs. I have found that Pagid replacement discs are better but what I do with mine is paint the bells with zinc weld-through paint and it makes them last about 2 years before they look tatty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks crasher. Will ask garage to do it under warranty. Worth a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    painting would not work as the heat would burn it off,

Sperex VHT would cope with the heat, it issued on dragsters on the engines and manifolds. It could be worse, it could be drum brakes and alloy wheels.