Thread: Disappointing fuel consumption on the 1.0 DSG

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing fuel consumption on the 1.0 DSG

I have purchased a nice new Octavia 1.0 TSI DSG. Nice car...slight problem. Against an advertised combined MPG of 61.4 I am only achieving 38.5. I have been advised by my dealer that any MPG is acceptable as long as the diagnostic test shows no other fault with the car. Is this a common problem? I understand that brochure figures may not always be attained but a variance of about 250 miles per tank could get expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, not owning an Octavia I can't offer any advice, but if you follow the link below and put your model details in you should get a fairly accurate idea of the real figures you should be getting. I think the dealers really are Skoda's Achilles heel I their lack of knowledge and professionalism.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/octavia
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

3. Thanks Nick54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skoda UK say see your dealer, it's up to them to sort it. The dealer quotes me what Skoda UK have said. Ho-hum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the link any help? If the fuel consumption is a deal breaker you could always go down the route of returning it due to not being as advertised or fit for purpose as the consumption is approx. 60% of that claimed. There is a Yeti with a 1.2 petrol engine, and after being loaned one whilst mine was in for servicing I can say the fuel consumption of that was lower that what you are getting. A small engine in a large body is not generally a recipe for good fuel consumption. If you are in a hilly area and have stop start conditions it will be even worse. Perhaps a word with Trading standards would be worthwhile.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. During my research I only yesterday spoke to a very informative man from a national vehicle inspection company and he made the same point about a small engine in a larger vehicle. I had presumed that the 115 bhp (same as my old 1.9 diesel) would produce the same MPG. If I had known I would probably have gone for the 1.4 tsi at 150 bhp and got better value for money. Maybe my car should have come with a warning sticker about driving uphill or over 60mph.