Thread: Starting Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Starting Problem

Our Octavia Estate does not usually start the first time we try each day. We have found that switching off the ignition for five minutes and then trying again usually works and it then starts readily. I have now ascertained that the fuel pump does not run when the ignition is first switched on, but does when we return after five minutes. This fault only occurs first thing; throughout the day the engine starts first pull. The fault is unaffected by temperature or dampness. We've replaced the entire module in the fuel tank with no effect. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked the fuel pipes, air must be entering somewhere. It may be as simple as this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zeri View Post
    Have you checked the fuel pipes, air must be entering somewhere. It may be as simple as this
    Thanks Zeri, would air in the fuel line really prevent the fuel pump from running? The filter has been changed twice and the line has been tested by a dealer and two other garages, with nothing found.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a similar issue with wife's Mercedes-Benz A class. It would not start first time in morning. Result was fuel pipes were ok but the rubber joints where the pipes were connecting had developed tiny cracks allowing air to enter and as a result the car would not start. During day after first start would be OK as due to heat the rubber would expand and cracks would close.
    My opinion is that in case you have no error codes pipes and their connections may be the issue

5. Thanks ArranEye thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again Zeri. I shall inspect the joints when my wife returns.