Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emissions update trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Emissions update trouble

Has anybody had trouble after their emissions update ?
    I have just had mine done and it is suffering badly from diesel knock in the light load period during acceleration. It is also sluggish under initial acceleration then the power kicks in with far more boost that previously.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people have had problems. The fix alters the injector pattern and makes the engine run cooler, which makes it use more fuel. That in turn produces more soot and puts a strain on the DPF and bungs up the egr. You may find the cooling fans running on when you park due to the DPF regenerating and a raised tickover of around 900 rpm. If your DPF or EGR fail and you go back to the dealer they will say it is nothing to do with the fix.
    A Cornish relative had her egr fail in Wales, so many are being replaced they had trouble getting a replacement, if it does fail expect a bill of around £700.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that info. Did they also get the diesel knock/rattle that I noticed ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some have mentioned it.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again. Is there any remedy ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The so called fix cannot be reversed, a remap (not by Skoda) would cost around £300 which could provide a better than pre fix driving experience. There are a few cases where a dealer has actually corrected/replaced a failed egr or dpf either at nil or greatly reduced cost. There is a group of around 4500 owners with problems on Facebook, with a possible protest planed, I do not use FB and so cannot give any more details.
    One possible help could be using fuel such as Shell Vpower as it is a higher cetane rating and burns hotter than normal diesel. For about £6 for a full tank it might be worth a try, if you do, let us know how it went, run your tank down before refilling so the Vpower is not heavily diluted by ordinary diesel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all that useful info

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not tried the experiment with Vpower in case it worked and I had nothing the show when I took it back to the agents.
    It has now been back and readjusted and it is running fine, at least as well as before the original update.
    They said it was a fault with the injectors, which they have now fixed.

9. Thanks baxlin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have not had the 'fix' done, but on occasions the DPF light has come on (mileage about 58000) due to short journeys, and cured by a few brisk laps round the bypass....

But then the EGR failed, 200 miles from home, OE parts on back order since February, so no option but to use a pattern part. Bill was £775, but RAC contributed a fair chunk of this, as their alternative was to recover the car back to Herts from Harrogate!

The following comments are repeating what I have picked up on various forums and other sources, so not stated as fact.

The reason no parts being available, we were told by several sources, was the demand caused by the number of post-fix EGR failures! Apparently in the US, VW are offering 2 free EGR and DPF changes if either fails post fix, but as no UK laws have been broken, they aren't doing that here.

We have decided not to have the fix done. If in order to sell the car, we need confirmation that the fix has been done, it will be done then, but the fact it has not been done may well be a selling point!
    Last edited by baxlin; 09-08-17 at 20:44.
    Just my opinion, do not shoot me if it differs from yours!

Cars: 2011 Fabia Elegance Estate 1.6 diesel (Mrs Baxlin)
    Bright red Volvo C70 and JZR sports 3wheeler (me)

Post Thanks / Like
    A member on another forum had his Yeti "fixed" a while ago. He had it tested on a rolling road before and after the "fix", he had told Skoda that he would take legal action if there were adverse affects. His car was quite young with a low mileage, the car appeared to come through unscathed other than regenerating more often with little change in the rolling road readings. He has since replaced his Yeti with another one, however a little while ago he got a letter from Skoda offering to replace parts which appeared to fail due to the "fix". They were offering 2 x EGR and 2 x DPF replacements provided the car had done less than 160,000 miles and had been serviced according to Skoda specifications at the time of any such failure.

A Cornish relative had her Seat "fixed" and her car broke down whilst on holiday in Wales. She was told by the garage to join AA relay in case her car needed to be transported back to Cornwall, as EGR stocks had run out in Wales due to the number being replaced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast