Thread: EGR Exhaust control valve

Post Thanks / Like

EGR Exhaust control valve

Hi, I have a 2010 Octavia 1.6 which I was really happy with until recently. 6 months ago I had the engine block warning symbol flashing. I took it to the garage & they found that the EGR valve was blocked. The car has only done 49k miles. They fitted a new valve at a cost of £650.00 & everything was fine. I have now done 2000 miles & I have the same symbol which comes on for a couple of days then off for a few. I have just had it checked & the same code is showing for the EGR valve. I use the recommended diesel for low carbon and also Reddex. Is the only solution to sell it or move up to a 2 litre Octavia. I believe it can be caused by short journeys or low speeds. I do a lot of motorway driving. Can anyone advise me on what I should do please? I got advice from people on here when I had the first lot of problems with the EGR box. Thanks. Keith
    Last edited by Keith100; 21-09-17 at 08:57. Reason: Put my name in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has your car had the diesel emissions fix? If it has it will make the egr and dpf work harder, egr failure after the update is quite common. If it has not, short journeys or the wrong oil can cause failure, most of the gunge that blocks the egr and the pipes around it is caused by crankcase oil, does yours burn oil?
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the EGR valve genuine VAG or aftermarket? Ever aftermarket EGR valve we fitted to a 1.6 CR TDI failed so now we only fit genuine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Crasher & The Hood for your replies. They won't do the dies emissions fix while there are warning symbols on the dashboard. I did take it but they refused to do it

It was a genuine VW part from the Skoda main dealer. I have 2 symbols currently showing. The 'Engine block' one & a 'Spring' shape one. What worries me is that it has will have cost £1200.00 for the same fault and I have only done a total of 5.000 miles since I bought it. It has now done 54k. I like the car but I think I will have to swop it for the 2 litre.
    Thanks again for your help. Keith.