Thread: Water Ingress into Spare Wheel Space

Post Thanks / Like

Water Ingress into Spare Wheel Space

Hi,

I have a problem with water building up in the spare wheel space in the boot. This needs to be mopped up every 2 weeks or earlier. I cannot find any leaks in the body work, but the rubber seal around the boot where the hatch door fits to is always wet although I cannot find any breaks around the door. I also have a problem with the reverse windscreen wiper motor which jams intermittently

Are the 2 problems linked? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I had this problem for a while. The rear wiper was acting up and eventually packed in all together. when I went to fit the new wiper motor i found that the water hose to the to the wiper was not fitted properly. as a result each time i tried to wash the rear window the water was pouring down through the back door and making its way into the spare wheel bay. so I duly fixed this but then at a later stage I had a recurrance of water in the boot but this time it was mostly gathering in the left hand corner, the cartept was soaking. so I checked the wiper connection again, but this was intact but no water going to it. while trouble shooting it i could hear the pump working but no water going to the wiper then there was a simming pool in the boot. this turned out to be the same hose but it had disconecctd at a joint in behind the left hand Interior trim. so check these two connections. I'LL Try to upload some photos tommorww..

Post Thanks / Like
    With a Yeti this can be caused by not using a strong enough winter screen wash. The pipe freezes and expands, then thaws then freezes and expands again eventually pulling off at the joint.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    The couplings can detach due to frozen pipes where the pump literally blows the fast fit couplings apart and the wiper motor washer jet feed tube can fail allowing water into the motor electrics and also filling the bottom of the tailgate. When you lift the tailgate, the water runs down the pillars and into the roof and then drains down into the wheel well. One clue is that the alarm can start going off due to water in the lock switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    The same thing can happen to the headlight washers that pop out of the front bumper.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.