Thread: Low profile to normal tyres

Post Thanks / Like

Low profile to normal tyres

I have a Skoda Roomster 2011 diesel 1.6 with tyres 205/45R16 87W
    The tyres fitted are of the ‘low profile’ type I wish to replace them with ‘normal’ tyres but what size? The internet gives formulas and information on how to work out the diameters and so on but it is hard to understand and is it correct? The new ones have to be the same outer diameter to keep the same mileages on the cars instruments and keep the insurance people happy.
    I wonder if members have changed the tyre types on their own vehicles and have they been a success? Help please!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you will find that you have 16" wheels -the largest wheel diameter supplied for the Roomster. If you wish to get 'larger/normal' tyres you will have to obtain smaller diameter wheels 14" or 15". Check with your local friendly tyre centre.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 17" wheels on my Yeti in the summer, and 16" fitted with winter tyres in the winter. The 16" give a more comfortable ride. The tyre sizes are 225/50/17 and 216/60/16 the outer circumference are almost identical and the speedo actually becomes more accurate.
    Things you need to check with the replacement wheels are the offset, this is how much the hub is off centre to the rim, a different offset could make the tyres foul inside the wheel arch on the body when cornering or foul the outer edge of the wheel arch. The other consideration is the number of stud holes, their spacing and the clearance for the bolts. The smaller wheel also need to be able to fit over the top of the brake disc/drum.
    One way to see if you can fit a smaller diameter wheel and taller tyre is to see if there is a different size wheel fitted to any other Roomster specifications. The 1.6 Greenline Yeti uses 16" wheels so they are type approved.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    The link below will give your PCD which is the hole spacing, the centre bore so it fits the hub flange, larger bores can be compensated for by using adaptors but are better avoided. the offset, and the mounting bolt size. It also lists some possible tyre sizes.

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Skoda...6%20-%20).html

The next link shows the original and new tyre with any variations in indicated speed.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...&Submit=Submit

If you search by vehicle type, the next link enables you to look at tyres that will fit, the also do wheel and tyre packages. If this opens at an advert use the continue to mytyres option.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk
    Last edited by The Hood; 23-12-17 at 14:08.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.