Thread: ECU? or water? gear stick

Post Thanks / Like

ECU? or water? gear stick

2007 2.5tdi Auto. Car needed glo plugs and I waited till next service but before that glo plug warning light came on and a week later the engine warning light came on. Then car went into limp home mode.

Took car into my local (trusted) garage and six new glo plugs fitted, car starts beautifully from cold now but both warnings lights still on and limp home still active. Their diagnostics say it is the crank sensor, rare as hens teeth so it is on back order from Germany and could be 4 weeks but it arrives 2 days later. It is fitted but I still had warning lights and limp home.

Bit the bullet and went to the Skoda dealer £90 later and I am told I need a new ECU (£1300) and possibly loom repairs due to water damage. Loom repairs could cost up £2000!

No sleep that night and decided I had nothing to lose. Got the ECU took it out and saw pins of the smaller block were blue. Carefully cleaned them with wife's emery nail board and rubbed up the connector block with a bit of copper wire. Drenched both units in contact cleaner (SOB from RS) and hey presto! All the lights are off car goes like stink again I am a happy bunny.

Post Thanks / Like
    What hapenned there?

When I say happy it is not exactly true. The stupid bit of plastic on the gear shift sometimes sticks. Usually as my wife is late leaving for an appointment, of course it is my fault (I don't know how) and I have to sort it. Wiggling it about and stuff sometimes workls or getting properly brutal (I am a big bloke) does it.

Is there a repair/mod because this is the only thing that is bugging me now.

Ade