Thread: No audio fronm my Columbus infotainment system...

Post Thanks / Like

No audio fronm my Columbus infotainment system...

Hello everyone! A couple of days ago my Columbus infotainment system stopped playing audio. No radio audio and no bluetooth or aux audio. Not even the feedback audio when i click on the screen. I have tried a factory reset with no good result. The wierd part is that sometimes when i drive the audio comes back just like that. But the next time i start my car the audio is gone again.

Does anyone know what seems to be the problem here?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the cause of your problem, but this is a "Me too" post. My Columbus has had this intermittent fault for the past 3 months. I still get sounds from the reversing sensor beeps, and it 'bings' when the icy road warning comes on ... but I get no sound from the radio, satnav, or media files. It will sometimes burst back into life when it's a cold morning or when I go over a pothole, so I suspect that the problem (in my case) is a loose electrical connection rather than the old software/firmware that's installed on the disk.
    Hardware = H42
    Software = 0292 (=Firmware version??)
    Dev Part# = 5E0035020B
    Map Version = Successfully Updated from Skoda Website in Jan 2018
    Bluetooth Version = Successfully Updated from Skoda Website in Jan 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a unit with Sat Nav, but have read of problems caused by the latest software update. I know of at least one owner who is holding off the update until stability issues have been rectified.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were to remove the electronic gubbins box that has the Columbus touch-screen from the car completely (and therefore disconnect it from the 12v power supply) ... and then plug it all back together into the SAME car, would I need to enter the unique security code before it would reboot?

I don't want to risk turning it into an expensive interior cabin light while it still functions resonably well as a mute SatNav.

I've previously had GM cars where removing the radio would lock them up, but they always had the security code written on a card in the owner's manual so it was easy to work around. With the Skoda Ocatavia owners manual there's nothing to indicate what the infotainment security code might be.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need a security code because the unit is locked to the VIN of your vehicle, so you should be able to remove the unit from the car, or disconnect it, and the unit will recognise your car when reconnected.
    Your firmware of 0292 is quite out of date. The latest major release is 0409, although there is a minor release of 0411 which addresses some issues with the Canton sound system.
    Last edited by paulius55; 04-04-18 at 08:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the sound back on my Columbus by trying a firmware update from the SD1 slot ... and watching the update process fail miserably at the first step.

Here's what I did.
    1) Switch on the Columbus by pressing lower left ON/OFF button below the main display - wait for it to boot up.
    2) Press and hold MENU button on right hand panel of the display - then select "Software download/versions" from the touch screen.
    3) Insert an SD card into slot SD1 in the glove box part of the infotainment system.
    4) Select "Update" and then "USB Data Medium" from the touch screen. Screen says "Reading release info"... wait about 10 seconds... Screen says "Unable to read the Release Information file. Source not available"
    5) Radio/ Jukebox/SatNav-woman-voice all burst into life. Huzzah and jubilations!
    6) Switch everything off, lock car, have celebratory cup of tea. Unlock car and get back in - discover Infotainment has gone into silent huff mode again.
    7) Repeat steps 1 to 5. But this time the fix seems to be permanent.

So in my case I *think* this is a software bug that I've managed to squash by forcing the Operating System to try (and fail) reading a file from SD1.

@andenn91 :- It would be interesting to know if you can get the same result.

Other Information:
    Keys were OUT of the ignition, and all lights and Air Conditioning switched OFF during steps 1 to 5.
    The 32GB SD1 card was not write protected, and it contained an unzipped copy of the skoda411.rar file that's available from various places on the interweb.
    Removing the touch screen display and the DVD/SD card brick from the car, and then re-seating all the cable connections to the back of the bricks had ZERO effect. Therefore it's not a hardware fault related to a loose cable connection.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, upgrading to Firmware 0411 seems to have solved the issue.
    A temporary workaround was to attempt a software(i.e. Firmware) upgrade from a blank SD card. Obviously, the firmware upgrade process fails, but the sound came back until the was system rebooted.