Thread: ?Over filled adblu

Post Thanks / Like

?Over filled adblu

I bought a 65 plate skoda superb 13 days ago from a Skoda dealership, when we left the dealership it said that the adblu needed topping up in 650 miles or the engine wouldn't start. I have never had a diesel before and when it got down to 350 miles I bought some adblu and looked at the manual and realising it was a 14 L tank that was almost empty according to the error message, I put in 5 L. Despite turning the ignition on and waiting the error message continued to say the adblu was about to run out and when it got to 200 miles I took it into a skoda service centre (due to where I live this ended up being a different Skoda place to where the car was bought from).

They have looked at the tank and said there is 17 L in the adblu tank and therefore I have overfilled it and this is the reason for the error message. They are currently draining the tank and have told me they will refill it and charge me over £200 as it's apparently my fault and won't be covered under the warranty.

My thoughts are:

1. If you have a 14 L tank and an error message tells you it's almost empty then putting 5 L in seems like a reasonable response and the error message was obviously incorrect from the point I bought the car 13 days ago and therefore there must have been a fault with the car at the point of sale.

2. As much as I would love for the draining and refilling of the tank to solve the problem, will it? Surely there was an issue with the float sensor before I overfilled it?

I can see from doing a bit of searching that this issue has come before but can't really pinpoint why it would have told me to fill up when it was clearly almost full and would welcome anybody's insight into this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had this issue but we use the proper VAG filling hose unit, which leaks all over the place when used on Quantum Add Blue 25L bottles.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: