Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnostic tools

Post Thanks / Like

Diagnostic tools

Having replaced my blower motor the other day, i failed to disconnect the battery first and to gain access to the blower I had to remove the glovebox. That meant disconnecting the passenger airbag override switch and then reconnecting it after refitting the glovebox. Now everything is working fine with the blower etc but I now have an airbag error display on the instrument cluster that I need to reset

I have a OBDII plug in tool but does not cover the airbag system, so my question is, is there an inexpensive unit that I can plug to reset this error message, or is there anyone with the right equipment in the Chelmsford area of Essex who could do this for me? or do you think that a dealer would be likely to that for me if I explain what I did, and if so any idea of the cost of it please?
    Last edited by Specmaster; 23-06-19 at 23:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any competent diagnostic system can clear an air bag code.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Any competent diagnostic system can clear an air bag code.
    I'm currently waiting on replies to questions from both Carista and Rosstech if their systems work on European cars. I had a reply back from another recommended system from this video and they confirmed that they cannot access anything other then the ECU which does not contain airbag info as that is a self contained system for safety reasons and was the Bluedriver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ross Tech produce VCDS which I have been using at work as a professional VAG vehicle diagnostic tool since it came out. I did have a try of Carista on a customers Golf 7 I was remapping and it look good. I bought VCP which is produced by a European company and to be honest I am very disappointed with it so now I use VCDS for quick jobs such as servicing and customers who need a scan and I use the dealer system ODIS for the heavy stuff where it is beyond the scope of VCDS. Yes it is heavily American biased but the support for European models is very good.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently according to Carista, it will read airbag fault codes and reset them but only if there is no real fault present. So in other words, if the error condition has been caused by the disconnection of a part in order to gain access to something else, and that no real damage was subsequently done to the part or the connections to it, so when you reconnect the circuit again, it is as before no faults, then the Carista will reset the error. if the item that I have found and is currently on route to me from Amazon USA https://uk.dhgate.com/product/vgate-...html#s1-1-1;uk|747458592 does not do the job, but I'm hopeful it will as it claims it will in the advertising and packaging, please note that I got it free delivery to the door for £12.20 and it was the very last one Amazon had it stock, then I shall be getting the Carista.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have VCDS which cost me £264 so your Carista has saved you a few pounds if it works. I am not being derogatory saying if it works, I have never used Carisa so cannot comment.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hood View Post
    I have VCDS which cost me £264 so your Carista has saved you a few pounds if it works. I am not being derogatory saying if it works, I have never used Carisa so cannot comment.
    Thank you, but I'm not getting the Carista unless the Vgate which is only costing me £12.20 when it arrives on 23rd July. Just as an impulse purchase I also purchased from Amazon UK the following tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which has over 3,000 codes it can read and set, which is also on extended delivery. I will do a small report on them when they arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update time, the Vgate tool has been delivered and tested and it was disappointing, the 4 areas it claims to be to read and reset are 1: Engine, 2: A/T, 3: SRS and 4: ABS. 1 and 4 result in displayed message that there were Linking Errors, tried what the manual said in the event of such messages, Nah didn't work. Menu options 2 and 3 it was able to read OK and it reported zero faults on the DSG box and on the SRS menu it did find 2 error codes and displayed them, only to find that they were not listed in the 30 pages of error codes printed in the manual. Seller is refunding me.

The other cheap clone, still has not arrived yet so I bit the bullet and ordered the Carista and it was delivered tonight, Plugged it in and it claimed that the car has 27 error codes so I reset them all and the airbag warning light has been reset. More tests tomorrow to see if the car behaves any differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    With these things you reaaly do get what you pay for. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap knock off VCDS led from eBay as the genuine item has some software/cookies embedded in it so the main software programme will recognise it. The cheap knock offs don't and the main laptop software will stop working. You also need to keep in mind that some of these cheap things could cause damage and I bet they will have no support whatsoever.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hood View Post
    With these things you reaaly do get what you pay for. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap knock off VCDS led from eBay as the genuine item has some software/cookies embedded in it so the main software programme will recognise it. The cheap knock offs don't and the main laptop software will stop working. You also need to keep in mind that some of these cheap things could cause damage and I bet they will have no support whatsoever.
    In the end I did get one of the Carista plug in units and is certainly more capable but it reports that my car is actually capable of doing some extra functions that, despite setting just do not happen so I guess it is not 100% accurate. One thing it reports being able to do is to unlock a "Green Menu" on the dot matrix display that is accessible by pressing and I quote "Car + Reset" but where the hell are these buttons? Another couple of odd things are that it says that a long press of the unlock remote button can also open the sunroof in either "tilt" or "Slide" options (whichever I select and save) it certainly closes the sunroof but that was always the case, and another is "Easy Exit", what is that when its at home. Documentation is also another Achilles heel for it as it comes with zero instructions or manual and the help menu is next to useless.
    Last edited by Specmaster; 13-07-19 at 10:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast