Thread: Columbus has lost its POI menu option

Post Thanks / Like

Columbus has lost its POI menu option

The other day I needed to look for a petrol station that close to me when I was in a strange location so I went to search via the Columbus sat nav but discovered that the menu option for POI is greyed out so I was unable to use that menu? Has anyone else come across that and if so what did you do to cure it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the middle of updating my maps and this happened to me after an unsuccesful install, so I guess you might need to update your maps. Let me know how you get on please as I'm doing the same!
    Nobby
    Skoda Superb 4x4 2.0 Diesel Estate 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't updated my maps as unlike the newer models which can be updated from the internet, I have to purchase a new CD at a cost of around £180. I decided that as I'm now retired and no longer use the car for work, I could not justify this cost, especially as the dealer / service garage could not be 100% certain if this would cure the problem. Given that I have a Tom Tom unit that has free lifetime updates for both maps and traffic cameras I now use that as my main sat nav tool.

It would be nice though to get my missing menu options back into action again if possible without having to pay that stupidly high charge. I lost access to those menus when the alternator drive belt snapped and the battery ran out a few months ago and I have purchased a Carista diagnostic tool to scan for error codes. It managed to completely reset all error codes and to restore all the special functions like auto-locking the doors etc, but still the menus are missing on the Sat Nav and I have no more error codes.

Post Thanks / Like
    For £14 a year you can get TomTom maps on your phone, that includes live traffic and speed cameras, any map anywhere in the world. So if you are going to drive across the states or similar you can get that map as well included in the price.
    If you have more than one android device you can load it on both/all of them with the same subscription. When driving long distance I carry a spare (retired) phone with TomTom loaded, so if the one in use gets lost, broken, stolen I am not stranded. I can't say about IOS as I don't use apple.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Specmaster View Post
    I haven't updated my maps as unlike the newer models which can be updated from the internet, I have to purchase a new CD at a cost of around £180. I decided that as I'm now retired and no longer use the car for work, I could not justify this cost, especially as the dealer / service garage could not be 100% certain if this would cure the problem. Given that I have a Tom Tom unit that has free lifetime updates for both maps and traffic cameras I now use that as my main sat nav tool.

It would be nice though to get my missing menu options back into action again if possible without having to pay that stupidly high charge. I lost access to those menus when the alternator drive belt snapped and the battery ran out a few months ago and I have purchased a Carista diagnostic tool to scan for error codes. It managed to completely reset all error codes and to restore all the special functions like auto-locking the doors etc, but still the menus are missing on the Sat Nav and I have no more error codes.
    I already have a TomTom Go500 which I got a few years ago and it has lifetime free updates for all maps and traffic and speed cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    With TomTom lifetime means the lifetime of the product, which is usually around five years.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I was thinking, I've had it about that long already but it still keeps updating so as long as it does, I'll keep doing so. I suppose I'll eventually have to replace it with a new one at some point, recently I replaced the battery as it would go flat overnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, I replaced the battery in my TomTom one XL twice but a couple of months ago they dumped all support for it, including the software that enables it to locate sattelites, so now it is just a paperweight. Evidently the sattelite locating software has to be updated every few years independantly of the maps.
    That said I much prefer the app.
    Last edited by The Hood; 08-10-19 at 20:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, depending on the age of the device, there is also a good chance that many devices will cease to function soon if we don’t either remain in or get a deal with the EU. That is also true for the app but maybe not because of the satellite system used but because once an Android device gets to a certain age, apps cease to work on them due being updated to take advantage of the latest versions of Android. So I guess systems, regardless of which platform they run on will become paperweights. ☹️