Thread: Problems after window lift change

Post Thanks / Like

Problems after window lift change

Hello all!
    The window lift wire snapped the other day and I got around to replacing the whole lift today, but not the motor as everything else was working.
    While replacing it, I obviously had to remove the door panel and therefore disconnect the cables to the window controller, mirror controller, speakers and lights.
    Before I started I disconnected the battery, when I was finished and mounted everything together, I connected it again.
    I started the car and got the normal fault messages after connecting the battery, that later want away after driving.

Now there is no power at all in the door, the window controller does not work and The lock buttons don't work. I have checked all the fuses, and gone over the cables and I cannot find anything wrong. Any ideas as to what can be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    The PQ35 platform electronics can be temperamental, especially the Central Convenience system. On Thursday we had a Golf 5 in (same platform) and the left front widow was stuck partly down and there was no indication of movement electrically so I thought snapped and twisted cable as you could shift the window up and down a lot using your hands. We did a code read on the door controller (which is the motor) and it showed an electrical fault so I removed the outer door skin (a Golf 5 peculiarity) and after removing the glass and motor I found the cable was fine and obviously very new, brand new. I disconnected the door harness and pulled it through to find the power and earth feed insulation split and the wires touching, so I thought fuse, nope......there isn’t one, just a full system fuse and the rest was fine, the door communicates with the Central Convenience unit behind the glove box by means of a two wire CAN BUS system. After disconnecting and heat shrink covering the wires, my colleague carried on as I had a G60 Corrado cam belt to do. He found the motor was dead, plugging in a new one we had ordered the day before “just in case” showed it worked so he rebuilt it, that is the first Golf 5 door motor we have done. The interesting point is that on a 5 door (all Octavia’s are) the front door motor is the controller for the rear motor where the lock communicates with the controller which communicates with the front door controller on a single wire LIN BUS system but the rear door still worked, it was the motor inside the controller that had failed. Does the door mirror and it’s indicator work and does the rear door work?

2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply,
    My mom was the one who used the car when the wire snapped, she said she tried to close the window and then heard the wire snap. The window stopped moving and slowly started sliding down. Before I started working on the car, the motor was working. I could hear the motor running and a sound of a twisted wire.
    When I took of the door panel, I saw that indeed the wire was snapped.

So this means that before I started working on it, everything electrical was working.

Now the current situation is:
    - no power to the window buttons in the door
    - the mirror controller does not work.
    - central lock button on driver side door does not work
    - the red light at the bottom of the door does not light up
    - driver side door still locks when locking the car
    - all other door on the car are working like normall, windows go up and down, and are able to lock.
    - holding lock/unlock on the key closes/opens all windows other than the driver side door window

It seems to me like the is no power going to the door.

I have physically check all the fuses in the driver side fuse box and engine compartment.

So to answer your question. No, the driver side door mirror and its indicator is not working. And the rear door works fine(window and lock)

Post Thanks / Like
    The problems are now fixed, although I'm not sure why?!?
    I was measuring the voltage on the different connectors, and seems like everything had power. I was really puzzled as to why it's not working if everything has power.
    I then remembered that I have a vagcom cable, didn't think it would work, but why not try?
    So I connected the vagcom cable, but was not able to get any communication.
    But after I unplugged the cable from the obd port, I noticed the light in the lower part of the door was on, so I tried the window next, it works!!! Everything is working again now!
    I'm not sure what the problem was, but seems like connecting the vagcom cable might have reset something?

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this a few years ago on an R32, my paint shop did a rear door skin and then it came back and was left in the workshop overnight. The next morning I backed it out and found the left side was dead, front and rear doors and no VCDS comms. To cut a very long story short, I managed to hot wire the mechanism from the drivers door feed and it opened. I removed the glovebox and fitted a new convenience unit and coded it in, all the functions in the door came back to life and I thought, OK, done. Then I went to match the remote keys to the new unit and they would not code, but they worked on the old one so I put that back in to check and they worked and they did but so did the left doors and now three years later it is still fine, I sent the new convenience unit back to TPS with a flea in its ear... Personally I think If I had disconnected the battery for a while it would have had the same affect, hopefully I will never get the opportunity to try it!
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: