Thread: Skoda Octavia 2008 Estate 4x4 140k BXE Engine

Post Thanks / Like

Skoda Octavia 2008 Estate 4x4 140k BXE Engine

Hi everyone. Recently got the skoda mentioned above with a BXE engine. Been driving it for about a month and noticing a strange whine or woo noise when the engine is revved. The noise seems to go with the engine speed and gets slightly higher pitched the further up the revs you go. Also should mention can only really be heard between 1k and 2k revs. Seems to disappear the further up you go after that. Can also hear it when car is in neutral being revved or under load. Showed it to a mate of a mate whos a mechanic who says its normal and not turbo. Doesn't sound normal to me...

Also are these BXE engines as bad as everyone says? (I didn't notice all the bad press on them until after i bought the car...
    Really hope im ok to post this here. This is the first forum ive ever used so don't attack me to hard if am making an ass of myself. Thanks
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not a bad engine and it is not just the BXE that is affected, the BDK, BXF, BXJ and BLS are also prone to rodding the block. The weakness is caused by the poor oil change intervals set out by VAG, I look at these intervals as officially sanctioned engine abuse. The weakness is the con rod bearings, these are so called "Sputter" coated bearings on the upper half but it still wears heavily so the typical five oil changes and 100K miles leaves them badly worn.

Then the steel backing picks up on the crank journal and instead of doing a death rattle as would have happened int olden days, the micro welding exposes a flaw in the sintered powdered metal con rod bearings in that they are brittle and do not like bending forces and they snap, poking their broken neck out of the side of the block and so destroying the engine. Doing 10K oil changes and changing the bearings at 100K seems to prevent the problem, it is the policy we pursue with our customers and as yet I have never personally seen the problem. The bearings above are what we typically see when we change them, it is not a difficult or expensive job to do at an oil change, just a set of aftermarket bearings (KS 775 546 00 or Mahle 029 PL 20897 000) can be found for around £60 and a set of the 045 105 425 bolts are £51.74 inc VAT from any VAG group dealer.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse: