Thread: Another Fabia that won't start - Gremlins under the hood?

Post Thanks / Like

Another Fabia that won't start - Gremlins under the hood?

Dear all,
    I have Fabia 1,4 75HP BKY petrol engine that refuse to start after I serviced it.
    Root cause for service was loss of power and uneven running of engine plus high fuel demand. NB there was no Engine warning lamp or OBD codes found when I checked.

So far I've done the following.
    Replaced the ignition coils, seems to have helped a bit but still when rewing at stand still, idle to ~2000rpm all sound normal but between 2500 and 3000rpm engine stumbled and almost stopped! Let go of gas pedal and back to normal idle, no problems to start.

So I moved on by replacing all spark plugs and a new fuel filter and after that it refused to start. Engine cranks but no start!

I downloaded the Workshop manual from Workshop manuals and tried my best to search.
    - I can't get a spark from the spark plugs
    - All fuses OK
    - Compression test, cyl 1,2,4 = 15-16 bar cyl 3 = 10 bar, increase to 11,5 after squirting some oil into the cylinder.
    - Throttle valve control unit OK
    - Hall sensor., 5 volt OK
    - Fuel pump running and pressure >>50psi
    - Found loose ground cable between gearbox and body ...fixed
    - No signal to injectors
    - Injectors inner resistance 13ohm
    - Connection to ignition coils pin 2+4 = 0, pin 1+4 = 0, pin 1 and 2 has earth contact.

Still no response from the engine...the manual refer to "Engine speed sender" a 3 pin plug? I only find a 4 pin plug in the same position??
    Fuel pump relay is a critical component but I can't locate that or any other relay, where do I find them??
    If the fuel pump is running can the relay still screw things up for the ignition?

I figure there is an electrical/earth connection thing going on here but I'm lost for ideas and can't locate some critical sensors/components either only the fuse panel.

All the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Let’s go back to the spark... Did you crank the engine over with the coil packs off of the plugs but still connected to their wiring?
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm good question, most likely not but what if I did?
    I have not been able to locate the ”Speed sensor” or the ”camshaft sensor” just got a tip to look at those.
    When cranking the engine the tachometer reacts...which should indicate OK crankshaft sensor?

Thanks for quick response
    Last edited by GS1000FF; 09-12-19 at 14:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the coil packs are triggered when not connected to a spark plug or one which is not earthed, they blow instally... even if they are brand new.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I just checked the coils and voltage supply to them, this is my findings.

Voltage supply to the coils through 4 pin contact.
    Pin 1+3 = 11,7 (present battery voltage)
    Pin 2+4 = zero (so sems as I lost power to pin 4)
    pin 1 and 2 are earth.

I also measured all coils with a multimeter and found the following:
    The old coils...
    Pin 1+2 = 37kohm
    Pin 1+3 = 40kohm
    Pin 1+4 = 380 ohm
    Pin 2+3 = 16kohm
    Pin 3+4 = 40kohm

The recent new coils differ a bit.
    Pin 1+2 = 24kohm
    Pin 1+3 = 29kohm
    Pin 1+4 = 380 ohm
    Pin 2+3 = 17kohm
    Pin 3+4 = 29kohm

I also measured between all pins of the coil and the sparkplug contact and there is an open line in all?

So any ideas on what to do next?

All the best and thanks again for input, highly appreciated ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I suspect you have blown the coils but I think your next step should be to get a VAG specific (not generic OBDII) fault code read done and then check the engine speed senor by watching the rpm, value in the measuring blocks.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Personally I suspect you have blown the coils but I think your next step should be to get a VAG specific (not generic OBDII) fault code read done and then check the engine speed senor by watching the rpm, value in the measuring blocks.
    Finally I have the answer!!

There was one fuse blown to the PCM but major issue was the catalyst, closest to the header, it was falling apart in pieces and blocking the exhaust
    A new exhaust and it runs like new

all the best

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only seen that once many years ago, quickly removing the lambda sensor and starting the now free to breath engine is a quick test.

Vile Invention