Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low temp after thermostat change

Post Thanks / Like

Low temp after thermostat change

Hi,
    I've got Skoda Superb 63reg after facelift, 2.0 140 horse power TDi.
    Engine temperature was hardly reaching 60C so I replaced thermostat. For a day I thought that problem is solved, temp went 90C as it should be but soon after that it came back to the same stage when I can't reach working temp especially after highway trip. If I'm in town then temp is going up, but not reaching 90C anymore. It's just 5 days since I replaced that thermostat.
    Does any of you guys had the same problem with this engine?
    I'm thinking to put cardboard in a front of radiator, I don't know what to do. I was looking for some air bleeding points but I can't see any. I think it should bleed itself.
    Please help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Which make and part number thermostat did you fit? The dash temp gauge is highly inaccurate so for it to show an over cooling problem the thermostat must be stuck open.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know part number or make of the new thermostat but I don't think that this details has much to do.
    It's not a gauge problem, temp in cabin stays low.
    Did you had similar problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a VAG mechanic.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Super, did you had similar problem then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Many times with non genuine thermostats

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    The one which I put is Mahle made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mahle should be fine but something is obviously wrong. You could have a failed electric water pump which would need a diagnostic output test to check, they are very unreliable.

Vile Invention

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    Cam belt and water pump has been replaced by salesman when I bought this car, but I don't know what parts they've used.
    Do you think if VCDS (eBay cheap available version) would be any helpful?
    Wow, didn't know that water pump can be electric, what a times

Post Thanks / Like
    A genuine VCDS lead has a small amount of software in it which is recognised by the software, the fakes on eBay do not and the software stops working.
    Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 response "Classic" Aqua Blue 140 BHP Elegance 4x4, Park assist,RRP,Spare Wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast