Thread: Whining turbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Whining turbo.

Right! How long is a piece of string might be the answer, but I'll trust your judgement on string lengths more than mine.

The turbo on my Octavia Mk2 1.9d has always whined a bit, just loud enough so I could just hear it as I started to accelerate. At least I could reassure myself that it was working consistently. Over the last day, it's started whining more as I accelerated, and even more as I decelerated.
    It doesn't seem to be on the point of giving up by any stretch, but when these start to go, do they keep going quickly, or should I not worry for some time?
    If I do replace it, is it easy enough for a old codger with knackered knees to tackle from the top?.My days of crawling underneath, are but a distant memory��

Thankyou folks!
    Last edited by Tykey; 28-06-20 at 17:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a KKK turbo on that engine and these do tend to let go all of a sudden and snap their turbine shaft, then the engine won't rev as the intake pipe collapses due to the vacuum; the Garrett type fitted to other engines is far less prone to this. I have seen the turbo stop so suddenly (from circa 200K RPM) that the tiny nut on the shaft has so much inertia it is able to undo itself and get blown into the charge air system so the mechanic has to go hunting for it in the intercooler intake. The AA/RAC carry a big slinky like coil spring they put inside the charge air hose to stop it collapsing so you can get home BUT this can lead to the snapped shaft coming out of the bearing where oil will either pour into the exhaust which makes clean up a sketch or pour into the intake; if you are unlucky this can be ingested by the engine and make the engine scream up to the highest RPM the combustion process can allow and continue to do so until the bottom of the engine explodes (this engine is VERY prone to sticking a con rod out of the block and waving hello) or the engine seizes. If you are interested Google “diesel runaway”.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
    2006 Polo GTI 1.8T, APR 95RON remap
    1988 Golf 2 GTI 16 valve, 2.2 with Weber Alpha injection
    1983 Golf 1 GTI 8 valve, 2 litre with Eurospec racing 42/36 head
    1972 1302LS auto 1641cc conversion

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Post Thanks / Like
    Errrrrrr! I've just been out and got the bonnet up for a closer listen. Now I've decided it's more like a howl rather than a whine. I think your
    honest comments, for which I'm EXTREMELY grateful have made the decision an easy one. I've had a look at how to change the unit, and it seems beyond a 72 year old with a recent knee replacement.
    So off to the mechanic it will go!
    Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply��������

Post Thanks / Like
    If your chap takes it off and sends it to a top reputable turbo company such as Midland Turbo (they come with the HIGHEST recommendation) and he charges approx the same as us the job should come out at around £850 or a bit more if the oil pipe snaps as they often do.
    2003 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. APR 98RON remap, APR R1 diverter valve, Jetex exhaust, K&N panel filter, 7.5x18 Alutec Monstr wheels with 225/40 18 Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, I'm taking the car into him in the morning for a butchers at it. Is it quicker to remove it from the top or bottom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right hand drive shaft off, drop it out from below.

Vile Invention