2013 Rapid TSI 1.2's Timing Chain

niant

Reaction score
Hi all!

Recently I had an issue with my Rapid's front right window elevator button. I brought the car to the oficial dealer in Portugal and took the opportunity to ask for a general check-up.

In the end, they told me the timing chain had to be replaced plus all the related parts. I found it a bit strange, since the car does not even have 90K Km. They presented me a rough budget of around 1200€ (1011 GBP), labour + parts (also including other non-related things such as new battery and wiper blades).

What do you think about this? Is the timing chain a part that needs maintenance or substitution after a certain mileage? The car seems to be driving and working normally as always. I do not hear any weird noises or see any wrong behavior or anything like that.

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Happy Holidays and New Year 2022.

niant

Reaction score
Hi there @Crasher. Thank you for replying.

It is the 4 cylinder for sure, although I don't known the engine name/code by heart.

Thanks!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Post the cars VIN, some very early ones had problems but I can’t check properly now until Wednesday when back at work.

niant

Reaction score
Here it is: TMBAN6NH2D4031675

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a CBZB engine and the car was built 10-05-13 and these early engines do suffer with premature timing chain wear so if an expert ear has picked up something it would be worth getting a second opinion.

niant

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info! So, will a timing chain swap fix the wear issue or will it keep permaturely suffer from this 'forever'?

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the parts have been revised but chains wear and the modern oils regulations force us to use do not look after chains very well especially with these stupid long life change intervals so we recommend 15000 km oil changes and the use of an additive to help protect the chain, Liqui Moly CeraTec is earning a good reputation.