Changing wheels and tyre size on Superb Elegance estate 2014

nmh

Reaction score
I’ve just bought my first car at the age of 43. A very sensible (and luxurious) Superb 1.8 petrol estate Elegance with automatic gearbox. It’s only got 24k on the clock and I love it. I live in London and won’t be doing huge miles but when I do, they’ll be mostly motorway miles on journeys of 4 hrs plus.

The Elegance came with the Skoda Trinity alloys and the previous owner had some Kumho WinterCraft 225/40 R18 92V tyres fitted which are showing very little wear. I can feel/hear quite a bit of road noise and I’m reading that these tyres aren’t the best for noise, fuel consumption or braking in general (especially in the wet). As the amount of miles I’ll be doing in winter/snow will be very, very limited indeed - I was looking to change tyres.

But looking at some forums (Honest John for example) there’s a lot written about the very hard ride of 18 inch alloys, the fact this car weighs over 2000kg, should never have been fitted with 18 inch alloys, and this ‘premium look’ is something manufactures do knowing that’ll it’ll lead customers to buy more and more tyres. The front end of this car is heavy etc and will eat low profile tyres like this for breakfast.

SO - I was thinking of changing to 16 inch alloys and a suitable tyre and maybe putting the Trinity’s onto eBay or similar. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience re this. I’m not too bothered about looks (although the Trinity‘s look very nice) - just more interested in ride comfort, road noise and fuel economy.

I’m also not sure what 16 inch alloy would fit. I’m mindful of keeping the Speedo accurate and I LOVE the park assist automatic parking function and wouldn’t want to throw that out. Any help/advice much appreciated.

Nick

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I would suggest 17’s as you get some of the look of the 18 and most of the ride of the 16. Genuine Skoda wheels are insanely expensive at around £400 so I would suggest diving into the bewildering world of aftermarket wheels where the choice is staggering