Mk3 vrs octavia rear camera fitment

Ap.420

Reaction score
Looking to buy a reversing camera for my skoda vrs octavia mk3 .can anyone recommend a camera there has previously been a camera fitted but previously owner removed it cutting the wire in boot and left it running up the car to the glove box where I found a blue plug just hanging around the fuse box any help would be appreciated

Ap.420

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply .sorry for sounding stupid but how can I tell what it is thanks

baxlin

Reaction score
I fitted one from “AliExpress” to my 18 reg Octavia with the Amundsen infotainment. The total cost around £50, and it was plug and play. Took me around 3 hours to fit. (And the cable has a blue plug, which fits their replacement bit of harness above/behind the glovebox).

Ap420, if yours has the blue plugs on both ends, a good bit of the job might already be done...

They have more than one type of camera, it depends on the dimensions/style of the boot release handle which to buy, as the actual camera is part of a replacement handle. Mine was ‘type A’.

Hope this helps, but apologies if earlier cars differ.

baxlin

Reaction score
This is what mine produces. (High temp and blower on as it was before 7am today when I went to Tesco!)

Attachments

• 4B040CEC-F4BA-48C9-992F-416A25D902A7.jpeg
    4B040CEC-F4BA-48C9-992F-416A25D902A7.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 12

Ap.420

Reaction score
What did you decide on in the end, Ap420?
I still have not found the right camera to fit my unit I am obvious to this all I think my unit is a mb1 columbus it has got navy and Bluetooth. With the rear parking sensors. I will attach a photo of serial number

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-130314_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-130314_Gallery.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 4

Hopeful

Reaction score
I fitted one from “AliExpress” to my 18 reg Octavia with the Amundsen infotainment. The total cost around £50, and it was plug and play. Took me around 3 hours to fit. (And the cable has a blue plug, which fits their replacement bit of harness above/behind the glovebox).

Ap420, if yours has the blue plugs on both ends, a good bit of the job might already be done...

They have more than one type of camera, it depends on the dimensions/style of the boot release handle which to buy, as the actual camera is part of a replacement handle. Mine was ‘type A’.

Hope this helps, but apologies if earlier cars differ.
I did the same and have been happy enough with the result. (y)
The only issue with the Ali express camera, is that it's super wide-angle (as you can see in Baxlin's pic), though in fairness that's as much a feature as a problem. I don't find the camera very helpful as an aid to positioning my car when reversing, as it's so wide angle. But it does let me see when I am exactly next to something behind me, parking lines, soft verges etc. So it's a definite benefit and I'm glad I fitted it. It's also a nice feature to have on the car when it comes to selling it. Frankly, I'd like a front camera too! ;)

Incidentally, @Ap.420 Did you buy it privately or from a dealer? If you bought the car from a dealer, they may have deliberately disabled the camera to ensure they didn't have to provide a warranty on it. I have no idea why a private seller would cut the wire.

If doing the job again, I might have been tempted by the OEM camera which comes with a less wide-angle view. However that camera needs calibrating and some VCDS faffing around to get the grid lines set up, whereas the version I went for is genuinely plug and play. So thinking about it, I would still have probably gone for the one I did, simply because it's so easy (not to mention cheap) to fit. ("Easy" relative to the OEM type camera.)