No heating drivers side

Hopeful

Reaction score
That is what we use now exclusively on MQB platform and I am testing it in our own cars to ensure there are no side effects but continuing to use G13 on earlier cars. One of the problems is cost, using G12E ramps up the cost of a belt change and a lot of people chase pennies when ringing around for this job so unless we can say “you must use G12Evo or else” then we can lose work. If it came in 205L barrels as G13 does we could pull the unit cost back.
Thanks! I plan to replace the G13 with G12evo next year, now I've fished out the silica bag, but if I didn't have to swap it over, I wouldn't bother. Hence my question.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Silica bag or tube (it can be either) has been unfairly blamed for causing the grit in the system but it is people misinterpreting why the bags failure has caused silt, it is not from the bag itself but from its failure to prevent silica fallout from the coolant, modern coolants are being asked to last too long at the same time as being non toxic.

Hopeful

Reaction score
The Silica bag or tube (it can be either) has been unfairly blamed for causing the grit in the system but it is people misinterpreting why the bags failure has caused silt, it is not from the bag itself but from its failure to prevent silica fallout from the coolant, modern coolants are being asked to last too long at the same time as being non toxic.
That I did not know. How long do coolants last, by that I'm asking when would you suggest I change my G13 for G12evo?
I took out the silica bag in summer this year.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Five years ago solute max from new and if a refill is carried out using distilled water and G13, just about five years again but use tap water and generic pink coolant then two to three max on MQB before we see matrix failure.

Hopeful

Reaction score
Thanks for that. So my plan to change next year after 4 years is probably about right. Thanks again! :)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally if it is a cam belt engine (I can't remember which you have) then I am happy with five years but that's it even on cam chain engines. Then again an MQB heater matrix is not a terrible job, it's actually more work convincing the owner that's what it is, especially when they know a bit about cars... that's the worst 😫

Hopeful

Reaction score
I can't say I feel like I know much about cars these days. I can't even work out how to jack the damned thing up without damaging the underside on my car. I'll have to find an appropriate thread on that, because I don't want to derail this thread.

Hopeful

Reaction score
Derail and go off topic all you like, I don't mind a rambling thread.
Saw this too late. I'd already posted it on the thread about jacking an Octavia, but thankfully you kept up with my thread-hopping. :)
For anyone else interested, here's the Octavia jacking thread link.