Octavia 3 Scout

anstj

Reaction score
Hi, I want to buy a 4x4 wagon with higher ground clearance. The car will be used mostly for trips outside the town, on weekends. I am interested in a more spacious station wagon, because it will also be used as a camper for 1-2 nights. My 'dream car' would be a 2014+ Subaru Outback, but it is clearly over my budget and I am also afraid of costs of maintenance and possible repairs. The budget being 13-14k Euro, the options seem to be Golf 7 Alltrack (a bit more expensive, and less spacious), and Octavia 3 Scout, which I think is the best choice. I am not so much interested in the quality of the car's interior as in its reliability and practicability.

Now, 2 questions about Octavia 3 Scout:
  • Which engine do you recommend, 2.0 TDI 150HP or 2.0 TDI 184HP? Is the power difference between the 2 options noticeable? Is one more reliable than the other?
  • What is the number of km I shouldn't cross when exploring second hand options? 150k km? 200k km? Irrelevant?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The two Diesels are both the same engine and have suffered some terrible reliability issues with the cam drive gear, such as the CUNA code unit.