Postscript re Dpf filter cleaners

Gordymac

Reaction score
My vehicle is a 2005 model Superb,the engine management light was on and a legend Emissions 1 contact workshop. The light no longer shows and one of my motor trade buddies feels that the problem lies with the DPF filter.
I'm retired and during the week I use it for trps to the shops. My total annual mileage is only 6k

The Hood

Reaction score
Does a 2005 diesel have a DPF? They were not compulsory until 2012.

A modern diesel is not suited to short journeys, modern emission controls egr (exhaust gas recirculation) and dpf (diesel particulate filter) need to be hot to work properly. A yearly mileage of 5K will kill it if it is lots of short trips.
With the DPF you might get away with a bottle of cleaner such as Millers or Archoil 6400-d max in a tank of fuel and then take it for a very long drive. The dpf collects soot and by using some extra fuel heats the exhaust and dpf which burns the soot converting it to ash which is burnt off, the dpf also collects oil ash from using the incorrect engine oil or oil that is burnt by the engine, oil ash does not get burnt off and eventually fills the dpf.
When the dpf regenerates the idle speed will increase to around 900 rpm and the engine will be much hotter and there may be a "hot" smell, if you interrupt a regeneration the cooling fans will run on after you switch off. When a regeneration is taking place, try driving one gear lower than normal this will keep the revs up and help the process, and if possible, lengthen your journey until it has finished and the idle speed has dropped back to normal. If possible put a bottle of archoil into a full tank of fuel and go for a very log drive along a motorway keeping the revs to around 2500 the further you drive the better as a regeneration should take place and the additive will clean the fuel system reducing emissions and over a period of time the dpf will clean itself. Don't be tempted to overtreat the fuel as fuel lubricates things like the fuel pump and overtreatment will reduce the level of lubrication. Adding archoil 6900-d (not the same as 6400-d) at every fill will help keep the engine cleaner with lower emissions. But with a mileage of 5k per year get the engine cleaned up making it easier to sell and part exchange it for a petrol or electric (yuc) vehicle.

The egr is a different kettle of fish, a sticky layer of carbon builds up over a period of time, which causes the internal flap to either stick or not open/close fully triggering a warning light. Fuel additives bought over the counter have no effect on the egr as they are burnt before getting to it. The only answer is a manual clean which can be difficult for a DIY owner. It can be cleaned professionally but with the costs involved the proffered option is replacement, not cheap. Again short journeys where the engine does not get good and hot increases the production of carbon.

There is a phone app called vag-dpf which can be free with adverts, of advert free for a couple of pounds. This will tell you how long ago the last regen took place, how much ash is in the dpf plus the dpf inlet and outlet exhaust gas temperature. It also shows if an active or passive regen is taking place. A passive regen is when the dpf gets so hot it naturally burns off the soot inside. My yeti had done 104k miles and has 0.02 grams of oil ash, almost non existent, but does very few short journeys.

But to end a long and possibly boring post, you have the wrong type of engine for your mileage and the best thing to do would be to change away from diesel.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen a Superb 1 with a DPF, it was possible to order one specially and these have the engine code BSS or BWW. It is quite an odd system with the DPF being separate to the catalyst and located in the centre tunnel. To avoid guessing, have it scanned with VAG specific code reading equipment, my guess would be a glow plug or EGR system fault.

Gordymac

Reaction score
To The Hood and Crasher ,many thanks for your info guys. It appears that my model has the cat converter.
I drove it a few days ago running smoothly,no warning lights ,approaching an incline ,hit the kickdown, the ems light appeared followed by the legend EMISSIONS 1 CONTACT WORKSHOP. Still driving ok ,although seems to be slower through the automatic gear box.

The Hood

Reaction score
That could be several things, are you able to used a fault code reader to narrow it down.