Rear right wheel still braked. Please help.

Corrosio

Reaction score
Greetings to all local members.

My question is about my car SKODA Octavia combi II 2.0 TDi RS [made in 2010 / 125 kW CEGA].
It's been about 10 days since I was forced to deal with the following problem.
I found that the brake disc on the right rear wheel produced an excessive amount of heat, and the brake friction segments no longer had an effective lining layer.
From my first impression, I was convinced that the brake caliper was no longer working properly.
So I ordered new parts for repair from my dealer.
  • new the brake calipers (two pieces) [brake system: BOSH, type of rear brake caliper ZOH BIR3],
  • new the brake discs (two pieces) from the manufacturer BOSH,
  • new ATE friction segments,
  • brake caliper guide pins,
  • new brake hoses,
  • parking brake cables
I replaced these new parts on both wheels of the rear axle. The brake system has been properly bled. After pressurizing the brake system with the service brake pedal, my problem did not disappear, it persists. So I thought that the brake caliper carrier itself was probably deformed - bent. I went on a trip to my spare parts dealer again and bought a new original brake caliper carrier. I replaced the brake caliper carrier in a few days. However, the replacement of this brake caliper carrier was unnecessary, again the expected solution to my problem did not come, the problem persists.

Where the hell is the problem?
Wrong master cylinder?
Faulty ABS / ESP hydraulics?
Improperly pressed wheel hub bearing?
Or a bent wheel bearing housing?

I had to postpone the problem and solve it quickly and temporarily. The problem brake caliper has been disconnected and blinded - now it does not brake them out of action. Has anyone solved a similar problem? I am willing to read constructive and logical opinions here.
Thank you to all the members for every thought.

Corrosio

Reaction score
Does the wheel spin freely when it is off the floor?
Yes, the wheel is spinning, but I have to use more force to spin it than on the opposite wheel. It does not spin freely. It is felt that the wheel is partially braked, braking around the entire circumference of the brake disc. Driving is not possible, the disc heats up excessively, other mechanical parts are worn - brake friction segments, brake disc and the wheel hub bearing is also stressed.

Therefore, in order for the wheel to rotate freely, I have to remove the brake caliper and push the caliper brake piston. However, this caliper is new. And the old brake caliper had the same problem. After reassembly, I pressurized the brake system with the service brake pedal, and after this pressurization, the problem wheel remains braked.

Last edited:

The Hood

Reaction score
This may be completely mad, is it possible to swap round the two pipes from the master cylinder to the front brakes?

If you can and the problem swaps sides it is the master cylinder, if it does not it is in the pipework between the master cylinder and the calliper.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The left and right pipes from the ABS valve block are different sizes to prevent this. Is the wheel free to spin if the caliper is off?

Corrosio

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
So my problem is solved.
Last week, on Thursday, December 3, I handed over my Skoda Octavia to a local SKODA dealer for service to solve the problem of the braking wheel.

Twenty minutes ago, a mechanic from an authorized ŠKODA workshop called me with information that my problem was solved.
The new brake caliper, which I bought as a non-original refurbished part, has the same defect as the original old brake caliper.