Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI 272 Sport Line 4X4 5dr DSG Petrol Estate MPG??

The Soulman

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to exchanging views and information. My username (The Soulman) comes from my stage-name which I use when performing my Soul & Motown act at parties, pubs and clubs, mainly in The Midlands and Yorkshire. I will collect my 2018 Superb Estate this week. It's from a main dealer and comes with a 12 month Skoda warranty (which I have paid to extend for a further two years), 4 new tyres, service (plus a Skoda service pack for two years), Haldex oil change and all the little body marks will be sorted by them. It looks absolutely stunning in Velvet Red. My only doubt at present (I have not driven it yet, of course) is mpg. Being the petrol version and quite powerful I wonder if anyone can tell me what to expect, please?

The Hood

Reaction score
As you mention yours is a four-wheel drive, (Haldex oil change) a word of warning. If yours is fitted with a Haldex 4 unit there will be an oil filter, if it is a Haldex 5 unit (most likely as 2018 model) There will be a mesh screen on the pump.
Skoda insist point blank that there is no filter and no mesh screen, they do not even list a part number for the filter. Over a period of time there is a sediment produced which thickens the oil clogging the filter or screen, if left too long the pump becomes starved of oil and fails. I think the Skoda attitude is that as long as the pump survives the warranty period it is not their problem. I have had several arguments with Marshall Skoda over the filter as their "Master tech" insist there isn't one. So, to show I am not imagining things here is a link showing a filter change.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are seeing Gen 5 filterless Haldex units clog their screen up in 25k miles. I got caught out on a Gen 4 as I fell into that trap of “it hasn’t got a filter” myth which is reinforced by ETKA and ELSA but now we stock them. One odd thing I did come across was I decanted the new TPS supplied oil into a hand pump unit and noticed what looked like bits of plastic bag that had been through a blender, the same goo we see on the screen. We ordered some more fluid and it was clear, I asked for clarification on this through TPS but the silence was deafening; if I hadn’t decanted it, I would never have noticed.

The Soulman

Reaction score
As you mention yours is a four-wheel drive, (Haldex oil change) a word of warning. If yours is fitted with a Haldex 4 unit there will be an oil filter, if it is a Haldex 5 unit (most likely as 2018 model) There will be a mesh screen on the pump.
Skoda insist point blank that there is no filter and no mesh screen, they do not even list a part number for the filter. Over a period of time there is a sediment produced which thickens the oil clogging the filter or screen, if left too long the pump becomes starved of oil and fails. I think the Skoda attitude is that as long as the pump survives the warranty period it is not their problem. I have had several arguments with Marshall Skoda over the filter as their "Master tech" insist there isn't one. So, to show I am not imagining things here is a link showing a filter change.

Thanks very much for the tip. Is it best to have it checked annually just in case? Any thoughts on likely MPG? I guess an average of mid30's would be reasonable.

The Soulman

Reaction score
We are seeing Gen 5 filterless Haldex units clog their screen up in 25k miles. I got caught out on a Gen 4 as I fell into that trap of “it hasn’t got a filter” myth which is reinforced by ETKA and ELSA but now we stock them. One odd thing I did come across was I decanted the new TPS supplied oil into a hand pump unit and noticed what looked like bits of plastic bag that had been through a blender, the same goo we see on the screen. We ordered some more fluid and it was clear, I asked for clarification on this through TPS but the silence was deafening; if I hadn’t decanted it, I would never have noticed.
Thanks for the information. If i asked the dealership to check at every service is it something that can be checked or do i have to choose whether to take the risk or change it more regularly. Are there any warning signs?

The Hood

Reaction score
It would be a good idea for the Haldex to be serviced every 20,000 miles comprising of an oil change and mesh clean. You won't get that done at a Skoda dealer though, they will deny the existence of the mesh filter.

The Soulman

Reaction score
I have owned lots of cars and can say there’s never been a perfect one and forewarned is forearmed. I really appreciate the advice and will look for someone local to do the job in a couple of years. Thanks

The Soulman

Reaction score
Mine has just been done by Skoda main dealer so will hopefully will be ok. Are there any symptoms to watch for?

MPG - steady driving getting 31-34. Drops quickly with a heavy right foot.
Lovely car!!

The Hood

Reaction score
The Skoda main dealer will only have changed the oil, they will not have cleaned the screen as Skoda insist there isn't one. The gen 4 haldex has a replaceable filter. I think their attitude is that as long as the pump survives the warranty period it is not their problem.