Sudden clutch failure

Tiny

Reaction score
2018 Octavia around 25000 miles, manual gearbox. Car had been driving perfectly. Called in a supermarket for an hour, when we came out the first indication something was wrong was the car wouldn't start. RAC got it started but could not engage gears. Had to have full clutch kit replaced at £1600! Any ideas what could cause sudden catastrophic failure without any prior indication?One

Tiny

Reaction score
A little pricey, presumably main dealer? Also a little odd.
Yes, main dealer but I checked with an independent VW garage and they reckon it’s about right. Oddly the dealer or Skoda UK can (or don’t want to) explain the sudden failure so my concern is the root cause of the initial problem has not been fixed.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is an unusual failure at that mileage but that sort of thing happens, cars are a highly developed 150 year old design made down to a price and faults slip through. If the full 4 piece kit was fitted I think you can assume the root cause has been dealt with.

Hopeful

Reaction score
2018 Octavia around 25000 miles, manual gearbox. Car had been driving perfectly. Called in a supermarket for an hour, when we came out the first indication something was wrong was the car wouldn't start. RAC got it started but could not engage gears. Had to have full clutch kit replaced at £1600! Any ideas what could cause sudden catastrophic failure without any prior indication?One
How did the pedal behave during & after the catastrophic failure?

Tiny

Reaction score
How did the pedal behave during & after the catastrophic failure?
The pedal felt perfectly normal before failure and the car was driving as normal. The first indication of a problem was the car wouldn't start. The clutch has to be depressed in the starting process so even though it was depressed it clearly didn't send the 'signal' to the engine management system that it was good to go. I have noticed since the clutch assembly was replaced that the clutch pedal sits around 10 - 15 mm higher than the brake pedal. This may be normal and a red herring!

Hopeful

Reaction score
The pedal felt perfectly normal before failure and the car was driving as normal. The first indication of a problem was the car wouldn't start. The clutch has to be depressed in the starting process so even though it was depressed it clearly didn't send the 'signal' to the engine management system that it was good to go. I have noticed since the clutch assembly was replaced that the clutch pedal sits around 10 - 15 mm higher than the brake pedal. This may be normal and a red herring!
But it felt normal when pressed?
(I now drive an automatic, so I wasn't aware modern manuals have to have the clutch pressed to start. Though in fairness, I always do on my wife's car.)

Tiny

Reaction score
But it felt normal when pressed?
(I now drive an automatic, so I wasn't aware modern manuals have to have the clutch pressed to start. Though in fairness, I always do on my wife's car.)
Yes, perfectly normal 🤔

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And I think it is daft… a car cranked in gear lurches, a car stated in gear and then the clutch released jumps, in my mind it would make more sense to have to apply the brakes but that leads me to another daft one, applying the brakes to start an automatic which can’t be started in gear? I don’t get it, the action of pressing the brake pedal releases the park lock!

Hopeful

Reaction score
And I think it is daft… a car cranked in gear lurches, a car stated in gear and then the clutch released jumps, in my mind it would make more sense to have to apply the brakes but that leads me to another daft one, applying the brakes to start an automatic which can’t be started in gear? I don’t get it, the action of pressing the brake pedal releases the park lock!
I think depressing the clutch is a good idea, as it disengages the gearbox and makes life easier for the starter motor, particularly helpful in cold weather when batteries struggle to deliver full power. I kind of get the brake pedal press for automatics, though I sometimes wish it wasn't needed from moving between neutral and drive.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think depressing the clutch is a good idea, as it disengages the gearbox and makes life easier for the starter motor

However, it places clutch release load on the now already compromised single shim thrust bearing which has no oil pressure.

Hopeful

Reaction score
However, it places clutch release load on the now already compromised single shim thrust bearing which has no oil pressure.
This is something I had no knowledge about, and puts the whole issue of starting the car with the clutch depressed in a different light.
Thanks.

Tiny

Reaction score
That is bizarre! Catastrophic failure with no warning symptoms? Have to wonder whether that was a manufacturing defect.
you're right, it is bizarre. Of course neither the dealer or Skoda UK even tried to explain it let alone suggest it might be a manufacturing defect!!

wroughtironron

Reaction score
The Information is from a Skoda tech webinar from September 2020.

Vehicle specification  Model: Octavia III, Scala, Karoq, Kamiq, Fabia III  Engine: 1,0 TSI (EA 211) in combination with the manual gearbox MQ200  Complaint/Fault symptom  Clutch slips, smell of burning from the clutch area  After having been removed, the clutch is found to be burnt or degraded/fallen apart

Technical background/Cause  Due to anticorrosion protection applied to the flywheel and the clutch, the friction value increase is much more slowly. This may lead to premature clutch failures.  Despite optimizing measures (plate lining of the clutch S308, the diaphragm spring of the pressure plate with temperature stability and decreased rpm in the transport mode), the premature heat overload of the clutch still sporadically occurs.  The clutch failures occur in the range from 10 km to several thousands km depending on how the vehicle is operated.  Measure/Production change  Parts without Anticorit have been fitted to the vehicles since CW 20/2019 (except for Fabia III, where the measure has not been implemented yet).