Using trolley jack on 2014 Octavia

tch

Reaction score
Hi, Could anyone advise me where are suitable under body jacking points on new style Skoda Octavia are? The whole underside is covered in plastic covers, so the stronger parts of floor pan/chassis rails cannot be seen. I want to remove front wheels but no jack was supplied with car so will have to use a trolley jack. Any suggestions on jacking points & where axle stands can be placed would be much appreciated.

paulius55

Reaction score
Look under the sill and you will clearly see the strengthened jacking points. They are marked with a symbol.

Hopeful

Reaction score
The sills are reinforced where the arrows are, this is where the emergency jack should be positioned.
But for a trolley jack, I'm not so sure.
Be careful, to avoid underseal/plastic underside panel damage.

Attachments

• Sills.PNG
    Sills.PNG
    271 KB · Views: 7

Hopeful

Reaction score
The sills are reinforced where the arrows are, this is where the emergency jack should be positioned.
But for a trolley jack, I'm not so sure.
Be careful, to avoid underseal/plastic underside panel damage.
Ah! I remember this thread.
I had reason to want to jack my car up, and would like to use a better jack than the "Widowmaker" VW jack provided with my spare wheel kit.
I'm not actually sure how to jack the 2013-2020 Octavia up so I can work on it, without damaging my paintwork on the sill or the sill seam itself, and as @Crasher points out, there is opportunity scope to bend/crush the sill. The "reinforced" jacking point doesn't inspire confidence. (See pics)

I've looked at a variety of available jacks, and I'm not sure if the jacking force is supposed to be applied just on the reinforced seam itself, or if the jack can apply pressure either side of the seam safely. I like the look of this jack (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0874QPPBR/?tag=vwforum-21), but I think the jacking force will be applied either via the top of the centre point (circled in yellow) which is likely to create a circular dent in the jacking point, or on the edges either side of the sill seam which may not be suitable for jacking. I just don't know.

Is there a better place to jack, than reinforced jacking point on the sill?

Anyone got any suggestions/solutions for home jacking? I'd rather not faff about with a trolley jack if I can avoid it. A scissor jack (and axel stands) should be all I need, as I'm not going to be doing this on a daily basis.

Attachments

• P1010601 - Copy.JPG
    P1010601 - Copy.JPG
    552.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010600 - Copy.JPG
    P1010600 - Copy.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Hopeful

Reaction score
Unless you can rotate the pad it is 90 degrees out to sit on the lift point
Yeah, I think that pad rotates.
There are a few different variants of the jack, and I nearly bought one with the same weight rating but comes with a ratchet spanner for about £3-4 more, so I figured that would be a better deal. Then I looked again and it was a subtly different jack, and didn't have as high a lift height.
They need to make their product line a bit clearer.
1637767368345.png