Yeti Tailgate Power failure

Baz1952

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me while I learn the ropes. I have a 2010 Yeti 4x4 2.0TDI. Yesterday I found I couldn't open the tailgate, the lock wouldn't operate either manually or with central locking. In fact there appears to be no power at all to the tailgate, no number plate lights or wiper either.

Has anyone had this problem before? It might save me a bit of time before I start dismantling anything. Many thanks.

The Hood

Reaction score
It could be that the cable between the body of the car and the tailgate has broken, early Yeti's are prone to doing so between the A pillar and front door (especially the drivers side).
If you get into the boot through one of the doors and fold the seats out of the way there is a small round hole near the boot lip in the tailgate trim this will enable you to open the boot. When the tailgate s open have a look at the cables inside the rubber boot between the body and tailgate.

The micro switch in the door handle may also have failed but if that is the case the rear wiper and heated screen would still work.

Baz1952

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I did suspect that this might be the case because the entire power supply to the tailgate is non existent. I replaced the lock about three months ago so I know it is not likely to be that. Thanks anyway, much appreciated.

The Hood

Reaction score
Hi, I am a moderator/admin on the other forum you posted on and have just replied on there as well, a genuine BOGOF :)